Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Blog 3: Pros and Cons

This week in class we were learning how to use Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Docs, and Google Slides. All of these tools can be utilized in the class room but the real question is which platform is better? Word or Google docs? PowerPoint or Slides? There were some distinct differences that I experienced as I explored each platform.

I am personally more familiar with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint before I began my journey at LVC. When I received an email that we, the students, would be getting Office 360 for free I was ecstatic because I tried using Google before but I just was not a fan of it. Now that I am in Ed. Tech and am going to learning how to use Google a little more I can see the positive aspects. Everything is all in one place, under one web domain and easy to access. However I begin to fall back as to why I didn't like the Google platform to begin with. I do not think that it is easy to use at all. In an assignment we were asked to format a slide show on Google and I struggled with it. I am not fluent with Google.

Google docs is not as bad as I remembered it being. I didn't think that it was as hard to use as I think the Slides was to use. I actually believe that it has some very helpful features. It allows multiple people to collaborate on it at once. I also am a fan of being able to leave comments on other people's documents. It is an easy way for teachers or other peers to make comments and help others proof read their work before turning it in.

I'm not going to rave about Microsoft Word and PowerPoint about how they are both perfect because they are not perfect. They both have their flaws, but to me, they are just easier to use. I also am a fan of how I can work on my documents when my computer is not connected to the internet. What if a student needs to turn in a document but can't because they can't access a computer with wifi. If they use Word or PowerPoint it is very easy to just put the presentation onto a flashdrive and share it that way.

I think that it makes the most sense to use the Microsoft products with students. The major flaw with the Google products is that you have to have internet access to use them and not all students have that. Google products do have some helpful features but I do not believe that I will be using it in the classroom in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment